Alumni: Elizabeth Sanchez (c/o 2014)

Back to Article
Back to Article

Alumni: Elizabeth Sanchez (c/o 2014)

Elizabeth in her uniform

Elizabeth in her uniform

Elizabeth in her uniform

Elizabeth in her uniform

Lina Lin

What year did you graduate from Grace King?

“I graduated in 2014.”

Are you attending college? If yes, which college? If no, are you working?

“I didn’t start attending college till the fall of 2015. I currently attend University of New Orleans (UNO).”

Why did you choose this college?

“It is near my home and work.”

What are you majoring in? How many years of college will that take?

“I am majoring in veterinary technician. It’s going to take 4 years. I switched my major a few time, which is normal.”

What is college like? Is it different from what you imagined back in high school?

“It’s definitely different from high school. It’s not exactly what I was imagining. You don’t have the teachers always wanting to help you. You have to do a lot of it on your own. You really had to make an effort on your scheduling.”

Which class is your favorite/coolest class?

“My favorite class is my biology classes. I love learning the bodies and systems. I also love my math classes. I have a really great professor. She’s amazing. She shows you step-by-step and always ask if you understand.”

Are your classes lecture-based or discussion-based?

“Most of most classes are lecture-based.”

What is a typical a day as a college student like?

“A typical day for a college student is getting up for your morning classes, making sure you had your homework done, making sure you got your assignments turned in, and your projects in hand. Have a good breakfast. Head over to the university, go to your first class, and enjoy your lecture. Trying to stay up if it’s a morning class. Then continue your day on by going to your classes hungry. Then continue your day on by going to your next class, break, or meet your friends. Make sure you’re getting your lunch made. What’s definitely not a good idea is going to your classes hungry. Afterwards, you continue your day by going to the rest of your classes or your study hall. Usually my classes end at 4 pm, so I go home, relax, and do homework.”

Do you live on or off campus?

“I live off campus. I drive back and forth, which isn’t bad.”

Have you thought about joining a club? Is so, which ones?

I definitely thought about joining some clubs, but due to my busy schedule, I unfortunately am not able to do so.”

Are you working a part time job? If yes, what is it?

“I work at Fleming and a small vet office.”

What made you want to be in the military?

“Well, at first I didn’t want to join because my parents were in. I didn’t like it that much, but when I found what I had saved and financial aid wasn’t going to be enough, I looked more into it. Then my father and I talked more about it. I joined Oct 2014.”

How do they train you?

“You start by going to basic training which is about 3 months. There are 3 stages of training: red, blue, and white. Red is the hardest weeks. Blue- you get to have a bit of freedom , which is like going outside for break time. White- you’ll be able to do more than on free time. You’ll feel like your life is falling apart. You are pushed and pushed until you hit your breaking point, both physically and mentally. That builds your strength though. You are trained in military customs like how to march, rock climb, what ranks look like, and more. You have no phone or anyone to talk to the first week. Finally, you’ll be able to mail letter and get a 5 minute phone call. You’ll learn how to shoot, throw grenades, rook marches, and more lessons. Then when the basics are over with, you go to a school to learn your job. The time on the school depends on your job, which is called a MOS.”

Where are you stationed?

“I am stationed at 769 BEB Baton Rouge.”

How is military food?

“MRE is nasty! There are some that are okay. I like the meatballs, tuna, and spaghetti. When we get the cooked meals some are really good and others aren’t.”

When did you join the military?

“October of 2014.”

What branch are you serving in?

“I’m serving in the National Guard.”

Is there a lot of females in the military?

“My unit has a lot of females but others don’t. In the BED, there is A, B, C, D, E, and head quarter. Head quarters has the most females but others do not.”

How long do you plan on serving?

“I’m serving for 6 years. I’ll be done in 2020 unless I re-enlist.”

What do you miss about Grace King?

“I remember my favorite teachers and the moments I spent with a few of my friends. They never go away. I remember having a good time and experience.”

What do you think Grace King should improve on?

“They should definitely have classes to see where you want to go for your college, like finding out what you’re interested in and what you’d like to do for a career. That would of been helpful. I switched major 4 times till I found what I liked and was good at.”

How well do you think Grace King prepared you for college or life in general?

“I don’t think they prepared me well, so that’s something they definitely need to work on. They are always like ‘Oh, they’re not going to do this in college. They going to do this in college.’ which is not true. Some of the classes I took that were college courses at Grace King didn’t even matter in college.”

Do you plan to stay or leave the New Orleans area? If leaving, where are you planning to move to?

“My fiance and I are trying to figure out if we want to stay in New Orleans or move. His family is from Norway, North Carolina and so one. He loves to travel. I love the food down here. There’s no other food like this, and all my family is here. I’m a very family-oriented person, so I would hate to leave them.”

What did you learn at Grace King?

“There are some hard time, but you always push through them and get to where you need to be. It seems like it’s the hardest part of your life going on while you’re in high school, but once you get through it, it’s so worth it.”