Alumni: Rhonisha Ridgeway (c/o 2015)

Back to Article
Back to Article

Alumni: Rhonisha Ridgeway (c/o 2015)

Rhonisha on campus

Rhonisha on campus

Rhonisha on campus

Rhonisha on campus

Lina Lin

What year did you graduate from Grace King?

“I graduated from GK in 2015.”

Are you attending college? If yes, which college?

Yes, I currently attend Loyola University New Orleans.”

Why did you choose this college?

“I’ve always loved writing, once I joined Grace King’s newspaper I was able to venture more into the journalism field. The newspaper would attend conferences at Loyola as well as LSU because both have great Mass Communication programs, but at the end of the day, Loyola won my heart!”

What are you majoring in? How many years of college will that take?

“I’m currently majoring in Mass Communication and minoring in Business. It should take 4 years, but I had to add an extra year because I transferred to Loyola from University of Louisiana at Lafayette, and it set me back.”

What is the biggest difference between college and high school?

“In high school, you have way more freedom than you realize in the aspect of a social life, and  you don’t take school work as seriously as you should. In college, it’s a whole new ball game! You have to take your school work, participation, and attendance very seriously because it has a major effect on your grade.”

Which class is your favorite/coolest class?

“My favorite most challenging class would be New Writing. I took it last semester; it was a lot of work, but it prepared me for my summer internship. My professor treated the class like an actual newsroom; every week we would have to turn in a story whether it be written or video.

Are your classes lecture-based or discussion-based?

“A bit of both, it mainly depends on your professor and how they choose to structure their class.”

Do you live on or off campus?

“I live off campus with my parents; it’s a cheaper alternative while being in school full time.”

Were you in any clubs during your time at King? If yes, what are/were they?

“During my high school, I was in student council, talented theatre, newspaper, and softball.”

What is one thing from Grace King that set you on the path you’re on today?

“Being very involved in the newspaper helped me discover my true-calling.”

Do you plan to stay or leave the New Orleans area? If leaving, where are you planning to move to?

“I love New Orleans dearly. I was born and raised here, so it will alway be home in my heart, but after graduation, I do plan on moving. I have my eyes set on New York, but one thing college has taught me is that what you want may not be what you get, and sometimes that’s not always a bad thing.

Do you have any advice for students whom are unsure what to do after graduation or feel indifferent about college?

“First and foremost, put yourself first. I know a lot of people who regret going to college because they did it for their parents or because society made them feel it was a safety net. Those people are in debt, unhappy, and feel stuck because they’ve wasted 2 or 3 years doing something that makes someone else happy. So, my advice would be to do what you want, to do whether it be college or not going to college, just as long as you’re doing it for YOU, because you have to live with the path you created for yourself not anyone else.”

Rhonisha in the news room